0 3 min 5 yrs

Okay Africa Foundation has criticized the recent spate of violence targeting aid workers in various states. The organization’s country director Wani Michael said every South Sudanese has a constitutional right to work anywhere in the country irrespective of their tribe, religion and gender.  

“There must be no room for discrimination in regards to employment opportunities but rather encourage governments at all levels to create more opportunities for young people,” he said during a press conference at his office in Gudele.

He was responding to certain attacks in the states where some humanitarian workers were attacked by locals who accused them of scooping their employment opportunities.

He warned against violence and but advised locals who had genuine allegations on favouritism and malpractices in the recruitment processes within the NGOs to involve the government so that they can be investigated and appropriate action taken.

“We also want to put government on notice to exercise absolute transparency in its recruitment process by advertising its existing jobs vacancies at all levels, such that all institutions borrow a leaf from them,” Wani emphasised.

He added, “I also appeal to both traditional and political leaders leaders [from] respective communities and states to desist from inciting young people to use violence as means of resolving their grievances because it has no room in our societies.’’

Ruweng attack

Last month, the International Rescue Committee (IRC)  released a statement condemning an attack on its staffers in Jamjang County, Ruweng Administrative Area on April 24.

 “We are deeply disturbed by these attacks. Thus far, the perpetrators have not been caught and there has been no accountability for those that have carried out this attack. We urge the local authorities to provide a guarantee of staff security so that we can continue to provide life-saving humanitarian services to host and displaced communities in South Sudan,” IRC South Sudan Country Director Caroline Sekyewa said in a statement.

In the same month, youth in Kapoeta South County of Eastern Equatoria State accused aid workers from international organizations of sexually abusing and exploiting female staff working with them.

The group said several women were forced to have sex in exchange for a job, or to avoid the termination of a contract.

“All international NGOs have been ranked to be the most corrupt humanitarians NGOs in the area with reported cases of sexual exploitation and abuses to female staff working with them,” the group alleged in a letter that was distributed in social media.