0 4 min 6 yrs

The Minister of General Education and Instruction Awut Deng Acuil has said the ministry has a contingency plans to examine the children in SPLM-IO areas who missed examinations.

Speaking from Rak Media main office in Juba, where she had gone to inspect the printing of books, the minister exuded confidence in the examination process, but said plans are in place ensure all the learners are examined.

She however did not give many details about the government’s blueprint to examine the learners in seven areas.

‘‘…we did not have access to some areas to deliver the examinations but we also have plan B for these centres as soon as we resolve the access and the security of personnel and the examinations. These children are the children of South Sudan [and] they have the right to participate after working very hard in a very difficult time of this pandemic. They have the right to sit for the exams,’’ she remarked.   

Apart from the challenge of insecurity, the minister said the examination process has been smoother than the previous years, despite facing the challenge of the COVID-19 pandemic.

She told The City Review that printing the examinations locally provided a major boost and ensured faster and timely transportation of the examination materials to the centres.

Her words will provide an assurance to calm the fears that the government may have perhaps blacklisted all the 849 pupils spread across 19 centres in various states-mainly controlled by the SPLM-IO.

Blame game

Last week, the ministry blamed the movement for insecurity in the areas which it said had made the centres even more inaccessible. For example, the ministry told the parliamentary committee on education that some of its personnel in Nyirol had been harassed and even lost money meant for teachers’ incentives.

But a rejoinder from the SPLM-IO Director for Information and Public Relations Pok Baluang refuted such claims saying the action had lots of politics behind it.

He said, ‘‘We believe the [decision] taken by the Ministry of Education is politically motivated. The decision is a grave violation to the rights of education to the pupils in question.

‘‘The Ministry of Education did not contact the SPLM/A (IO) leadership before taking the unjust decision, [or] to require security assurance in areas they’ve mentioned.  We would like also to stress that there is no insecurity in all the areas under control of SPLM/SPLA (IO) and law and order are effectively maintained.’’

Recently, the First Vice President Dr Riek Machar talked with the minister and agreed to ensure that the children get the examinations.

This comes in the wake of increased concerns from the diplomatic circles and the UNMISS leadership, who have called on the government to ensure that learners are examined.

‘’We also strongly urge the distribution of exam papers to children in some IO areas who may miss out because of insecurity.’’

‘’We stand by to help out if it means that these kids will have the chance to sit their exams. Every child deserves the very best chance for the future,’’ head of UNMISS David Shearer told the press on Wednesday.