By Kitab Unango
The Ceasefire Transitional Security Arrangement, Monitoring and Verification Mechanism (CTSAMVM) has lamented the disregard of multiple documented cases of sexual violence reported to relevant authorities with no action taken to quell the vice.
The peace monitoring body says the inaction against compelling reports on sexual violence is encouraging perpetrators to continue committing the same with impunity.
CTSAMVM says it has documented at least 1 215 cases of sexual violence and 65 survivors since 2018, but nothing has been done to stamp out the practice.
“CTSAMVMV has been reporting on sexual gender-based violence, but what has been done?” Nyakag Catharine, a Gender Advisor to the CTSAMVM said. “As we report, decision should be taken as it is written in the peace agreement to ensure perpetrators are held accountable.”
The body tasked with monitoring and reporting on violations of agreement and human rights, reports to RJMEC, IGAD Council of Ministers and the African Union (AU) to take appropriate action to ensure parties’ compliance with the deal.
“Our role ends with reporting of violations and it is still upon RJMEC, IGAD Council of Ministers and the African Union as well to ensure that sexual gender-based violence in South Sudan committed by armed forces should cease,” she added.
Catherine made the remarks Monday last week in an exclusive meeting with The City Review during a one-day capacity building workshop for CTSAMVM international observers to diligently and thoroughly monitor the peace progress.
Ismail Abdi Awle, Humanitarian Advisor to CTSAMVM said “The workshop aims at rebuilding the network among the members and share experiences for the work of CTSMVM to be more quality and have better reports.”
The United Nations Mission in South Sudan and the UN Human Rights report of May 2020 reveals that survivors of conflict related to sexual violence continue to struggle to access adequate medical and mental health care in the country.
Activists and international humanitarian agencies have repeatedly called in vain on the revitalized coalition government to enact gender-based violence act and operationalize special court to perpetrators to end impunity against women and young girls in South Sudan.
