By Emmanuel Mandella
A survivor of a deadly ambush along the Nzara-Ringasi Road is calling for immediate military deployment as fear grips the community, preventing farmers from accessing their land.
Charles Bole Yambio, a youth leader from Baba Boma of Ringasi Payam in Nzara County, narrowly escaped death in an attack that claimed four lives and left several others, including himself, with gunshot wounds. The attack, which took place on Tuesday morning, has sent shockwaves through Nzara County, with residents fearing that the region is slipping into lawlessness.
Bole Yambio, still recovering from his injuries, made an emotional appeal to authorities.
“The advice I have for our government or leaders is, please don’t leave us. We don’t have power to control security, but if you deploy soldiers, we will be able to farm and feed our families. Leaving us like this, vulnerable to looters and killers, is not right.”
The attack happened between Nzara town and Ringasi Payam, where armed assailants ambushed travelers, indiscriminately firing at civilians. Unconfirmed reports suggest that several individuals were abducted, creating more distress in the region.
Gimala Philip, another survivor, recounted his terrifying ordeal.
“I was shot in the hand and fell beside the road. One of the attackers ordered me to stand, but I told him my hand was broken. He took my phone and money, then told me to hide in the bush. When they left, I saw four lifeless bodies on the ground. It was horrifying,” he said
The Commissioner of Nzara County confirmed the incident, describing it as a tragic escalation of violence. The attack follows another ambush in Rimenze Boma of Bangasu Payam, just 20 miles from Yambio town, where passengers traveling along the Juba-Yambio Road were targeted, leaving six wounded and one dead.
Farmers, the backbone of Nzara economy, now fear going to their farms to cultivate, a move that could threaten food security in an already challenging economic situation.
“People are terrified. If this continues, we will soon face hunger because no one is willing to risk their life for farming,” said a local resident.
Earlier this month, during the funeral of late journalist Charles Wote in Yambio, Western Equatoria’s Acting Governor Daniel Badagbu assured the public that regional forces would be deployed to protect vulnerable travelers. However, with yet another attack occurring, many are questioning the effectiveness of local security measures. As the country struggles with economic hardship and political instability, attacks on farmers and traders threaten both livelihoods and regional stability.
The attacks have become so prevalent. For the people of Nzara, the question is no longer about if another attack will happen, but when.
“People are terrified. If this continues, we will soon face hunger because no one is willing to risk their life for farming,” said a local resident.
