0 6 min 5 yrs

South Sudan Opposition Movements Alliance (SSOMA) and the Revitalised Transitional Government of National Unity (R-TGoNU) have recommitted to the 2020 Rome Declaration, a move aimed at ensuring inclusivity in the ongoing peace implementation processes in the country. The parties signed the recommitment document which by default, binds forces from all political groups to the 2017 Cessation of Hostilities Agreement.

The fifteen-point document signed by parties in Naivasha, Kenya on Thursday ranges from issues related to land, rule of law, proper management of the state resources, and a return to constitutionalism. The leaders pledged to end wars and bring lasting peace to South Sudan, a country ravaged by civil war for over five years and ranks only second to Somalia in corruption according to Transparency International. Pa’gan Amum, Chairperson of Real South Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (R-SPLM) and Paul Malong Awan, leader of South Sudan United Front/ Army (SSUF/A) signed the agreement and Barnaba Marial Benjamin who represented the R-TGoNU.

“We promised our people that we will leave no stone unturned until we solve all the outstanding issues so that we can have peace,” said Pa’gan.

The negotiation has been under the auspice of the Community of Saint’Egidio in coordination with the Government of Kenya. Malong, who formed the SSUF/A after being relieved by President Salva Kiir as the General Chief of Staff in 2017, said negotiation was a chance to reach consensus with the government on root causes of the protracted civil wars in the country. “We have been trying to find a way how we can come together to resolve our problems. So, the issue has taken us two years in Naiveté,” Malong said.

“We have already signed this declaration to recommit the government and holdout groups and the document con[1]tains very important items,” he added.

Parts of the 2018 deal rest on the shoulder of the revitalised government to ensure inclusion of all the holdout groups to end violence in the country.

“As the official oversight body monitoring implementation of the R-ARCSS, I firmly believe that the inclusion of SSOMA into the peace process will provide additional impetus to its success and sustainability,” Gen. Charles Gitua, Acting Chairperson of the Reconstituted Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission said.

He added “This spirit of working together continuously and the determination to collectively forge ahead, challenges notwithstanding, is what the South Sudan Opposition Movements Alliance parties here should embrace.”

What’s at stake?

However, the intrigues to the context of the declaration remains unclear as the holdouts still have followings in some parts in the country. There have been series of offensives, claiming lives and hindering movement of people and goods along major roads in Central Equatoria State, the seat of the national government and strong hold of NAS’ leader Thomas Cirilo.

Also, delivering humanitarian supports to thousands in need in the country has been difficult in Upper Nile, Central Equatoria and Greater Bah el Ghazal, Malong’s home region. When parties to the Rome Declaration met in the Italian capital in October last year, there was no consensus.

In a dramatic twist of event, some senior members of SSOMA, including Gen. Cirilo and Malong, were booted out on the grounds of opaque allegiance.

 The phenomenon compelled Gen. Cirilo to break away and form ‘Self Alliance’ with only the National Salvation Front under its umbrella. While the government and SSOMA struck a deal, the National Salvation Front was at no show. It remains unclear whether their demands mirror the pact consented on by the revitalised transitional government and SSOMA.

Part of the 2018 peace deal is to ensure reconciliation of not only the ordinary South Sudanese people but also the leaders. It also includes the repatriation of the refugees who are supposed to be resettled. But questions abound on the recommitment given that NSF leader Gen. Cirilo was not part of the Naivasha talks.

With Cirilo out of the picture, there is a cloud of uncertainty hanging over the Naivasha talks that it may not serve its purpose.

‘‘I don’t understand this Naivasha Peace Process, Where’s National Salvation Front (NAS) delegation led by Gen. Thomas Cirillo in this whole process with the holdout groups. NAS continue to have military confrontation with the government troops. NAS has foot soldiers & presence,’’ Wani Michael, a youth leader commented in a tweet last week.

Speaking to SSBC on Thursday, March 11, after the day two session of the peace talks, Amum said SSOMA was not eyeing any political seats as being part of the power matrix in the 2018 peace deal. As for Malong, the talks brought together not only political leaders of goodwill but the people of South Sudan who joined hands in the fight for independence 10 years.