The South Sudanese suppliers and hotel operators have put the government on spotlight for failing to pay them their dues wholesomely as it does for foreign businesses.
Hotel managers told journalists on Thursday, February 4, that they were tired of accommodating the peace keepers for months without getting a penny for the services.
“We have been waiting for our payment. We gave them the first and second warning but we didn’t get our money although we heard in the media that we have been paid. The chairperson stated that he had paid some hotels yet it is not true,” General Manager South Sudan Hotel Mel Garang Yuot told the journalists.
He added: ‘‘So we have decided to come up with a conclusion of chasing out all the clients from NTC such us the generals and politicians, who came for the implementation of the peace.’’ Garang confirmed that some hotels had been frustrated by not receiving their payments from the Chairperson of NTC Tut Gatluak.
Earlier this year, the hotels had threatened to throw out the peace mediators if the NTC failed to settle their debt which runs in excess of 10 million dollars. Adding to the voice of distress are the national and international suppliers who are also demanding payment from the National Transitional Committee.
Peter, not his real name, told the City Review that he was among the lucky people that got a legal contract in August 2019 as public relations personnel.
“I did my part by delivering the report required from me but the National Transitional Commotion but [they] did not comply with what we agreed on because I was supposed to be paid by November 10, 2019, up to now, we have not been paid,” he said.
Grievances at hand He added that he was not alone in this situation. He said what hurts him the most is that the locals are not being empowered by the government.
“They don’t get the VIP treatment of that their foreign counterparts get from the government. The whole of 2020 has been a mess especially those who supplied food and non-food items like medicine have not been paid up to now,” he protested.
He added that 98 per cent of them took loans in order to complete the deliveries with the hope of them being paid within two or three-weeks. But that has turned out to be their nightmare.
“In December 2019, $40 million was released to NTC and it is very unfortunate that only handful of us were paid 10, 20 and 30 per cent but foreigners were given 100 per cent. So, if a foreigner was demanding government $3 million he is given 100per cent. A local who wants $200,000 is given $20,000 or $50,000, it is so unfair.”
Another supplier named Jane (not her real name) said she has been supplying NTC with food items for the training centres. After supplying maize flour and cereal products, she is still begging and hoping that the government will heed to her pleas.
“All these items have not been paid since August (2020) up to now. At first I thought that it would only take something like two months or three. But now I am just hoping that NTC pays as they promised. I am here suffering now my sisters are not able to go to school.”
