0 5 min 5 yrs

The Office of President Salva Kiir’ Mayardit has lamented the decision by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to extend the arms embargo by another 13 months terming it a serious blow on the country’s quest to unify and graduate the forces.

Last week, the Presidential Press Secretary Ateny Wek Ateny told the City Review that the government was waiting with crossed fingers on the outcome of the council’s vote, which was slated for May 27. At the time, the government had already expressed concerns that extending the restrictions would spell doom in the implementation of the chapter two of the 2018 peace deal.

But on Thursday, UNSC extended the embargo for another one year, with the duration expected to end on May 31, 2022.

‘‘The Security Council, acting through its written silence procedure today, renewed the arms embargo, travel ban and assets freeze imposed on South Sudan for another year and extended for 13 months the mandate of the panel of experts tasked with helping to oversee those measures, while expressing its readiness to adjust them in light of conditions on the ground,’’ a statement from the UN council read in part.

A total of 13 members of the council voted for the extension of the embargo, none voted against and only Kenya and India abstained from the vote.

The embargo ‘‘prohibits the supply, sale or transfer of weapons, as well as the provision of technical assistance, training and other military assistance, to the territory of South Sudan.’’ 

The body also extended up to July 1, 2022, the mandate of panel of experts assisting on South Sudan sanctions to monitor and report progress on key benchmarks and adherence by the government and neighboring countries.

These include progresses on implementation of the chapter two of security arrangement provisions, demobilisation disarmament and reintegration, ending sexual violence and among others.

Government appalled

However, Ateny said the move was unfortunate as it affects the unification of forces adding that it was in bad faith and a setback to the implementation of the peace deal.

“We did not expect the international community to treat South Sudan like this because the international community has an obligation of ensuring the Revitalised Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R-ARCSS) being implemented properly in later and spirit.

“The very important provision of the revitalised agreement which the international community has granted to see being implemented is the security arrangement. And you cannot graduate forces without guns. If you armed them with sticks, they wouldn’t be called forces and the security sector will not be met,’’ said Ateny.

“So, it is the security arrangement within the peace agreement the Security Council has paralysed and they are expecting us to implement it, so it is quite unfortunate,” said Ateny.

UNSC assurance

But the UN council promised exemptions on matters pertaining to the rollout of the peace in an apparent move to address the complaints of South Sudan.

The council notes in the statement: ‘‘The Council expressed its readiness to review the embargo measures — including through their modification, suspension or progressive lifting — in light of progress achieved on five key benchmarks. 

‘‘Those included the completion by the Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity of stages 1, 2 and 3 of the country’s strategic defence and security review; the formation of a unified command structure and redeployment of the Necessary Unified Forces; progress on disarmament, demobilization and reintegration; progress on properly managing existing arms and ammunition stockpiles; and the implementation of the Joint Action Plan for the Armed Forces on addressing conflict-related sexual violence.’’

The council has also given South Sudan up to April 15, 2022, to report on the progress made on the benchmarks that would allow for the assessment before another vote is conducted on whether to remove the restrictions.

On Wednesday, before the UNSC passed the resolution, Human Rights Watch said arms embargo was necessary to save lives in South Sudan.

It is close to a year and half since the formation of the Revitalised Transitional Government of National Unity (RTGoNU) in February 2020 with little progress in security arrangement.

The government on several occasions has blamed the arms embargo and targeted sanctions for the delay.

“What do we say now? It is like our hands are tied behind our backs and we are expected to work and cultivate while our hands are tied on the back,’’ Ateny said.