0 3 min 5 yrs

The Kajo-keji youth have called on the Central Equatoria State authorities to amicably find lasting solutions to protracted violence affecting people in the county before it slips out of the hands.

In a petitioned letter addressed to governor Emmanuel Adil Antony, City Review obtained a copy on Thursday, the youth said barbaric acts have continued to be inflicted on people of Kajo-keji at the watch authorities, demanding perpetrators brought to account urgently.

Some of their grievances include attacks, lootings and killings of dozens of people along Kajo-keji-Juba road which they said started in 2012, a year after the country gained its independence in July, 2011.

“Let it be known to you, the people of South Sudan, the state institutions, the presidency, the national institutions, the media, the national and international human rights and accountability organizations, the diplomatic community and the United Nations.”

“That we are tired of these so-called “unknown gunmen”, lack of accountability and transparency in the manner perpetrators of human rights violations and abuses are being handled. We demand swift action to address these evils in a transparent and accountable manner”, the letter partially read.

In late March this year, more than seven were reported killed and several other wounded between Juba and Kajo-keji, allegedly involving armed pastoralists from different parts of South Sudan.

According to the youth, the violence denies community agricultural land, destroying livelihoods activities by not only cattle jeepers within the country, but foreign invasions from neighboring, Uganda.

Conflicts involving farmers in Central Equatoria State and nomads from Jonglei State over agricultural and grazing land have been reported unabated despite President Kiir’s order and efforts by authorities to repatriate cattle keepers to defuse the problems.

The youth said the violence has undermined stability in Koje-keji county and threatened lives of returnees willing to return and rebuild their livelihoods.

However, following deadly attacks on Yei road last week, the Central Equatoria State government on Monday issued a statement promising to provide security in all parts of the state to its citizens.

“We will ensure conducive environment of relative peace prevail in all parts of counties of Central Equatoria State,” partly read the statement.

The authorities blamed forces loyal to Gen. Thomas Cirilo for carrying out attacks and killings of civilians between Juba-Kajo-keji and Juba-Yei roads in recent weeks adding the government was working to calm the situation.