0 3 min 5 yrs

A senior government official said last week suspension of the graduation of Police Cadets was to respect the revitalised peace agreement. In a last week Tuesday meeting chaired by President Salva Kiir Mayardit, the presidency took an abrupt decision and suspended the graduation of Police batch 22 for a later date to be announced.

This came just a day ahead of the graduation ceremony which was scheduled on Wednesday June 9, when 602 Police Cadets were expected to graduate into professional law enforcement officers.

The Presidency also resolved to accelerate the implementation of the provisions of the peace agreement, including graduation of the necessary unified forces, relocation of all the forces rivals parties as well as expediting completion of formation of the Revitalised Transitional Government of National Unity.

 President Kiir then ordered Tut Gatluak Manime, Presidential Security Advisor to mobilise supports to enable passing out of the forces at various training centres across the country. “Further, His Excellency President Salva Kiir Mayardit directed the Presidential Advisor on Security Affairs, Tut Gatluak Manime to mobilize the necessary logistical support for the unified organized forces,” said Dr. Barnabas Marial Benjamin, Minister of Presidential Affairs.

Peace deal at stake?

In a press release, Dr. Marial said the postponement was to allow for necessary preparation for the ceremony to take place. However, a senior official who spoke to the City Review on condition of anonymity said the graduation would amount to violation of chapter two security arrangement provisions which government wanted to avoid. “We did not want to go against the provisions of the revitalised peace agreement, especially the Chapter Two of the security arrangement. So, we have to implement the peace in later and spirit,” said the source.

In Chapter 2.1.8 of the revitalised peace agreement, parties agreed to cease security forces recruitment and training of late recruits upon signing of the deal. The Police Cadet Officers were however recruited in 2017 before the signing of the September 2018 peace deal. “We call upon them (cadets) to be patient because the agreement says we cannot violate [the deal]. They will be graduated as soon as other arrangements are done in accordance with the revitalized agreement,” he added.

 The Ceasefire Transitional Security Arrangement Monitoring and Evaluation Mechanism (CTSAMVM) has reported dire situation at training centres, where thousands of the forces already deserted the camps in search of basic necessities, including food, medicines, clean and safe drinking and shelter.

 But the government said logistical constraints caused by arms embargo and individual sanctions impeded the implementation of the security arrangement. However, armed parties to the agreement, SPLM-IG, SPLM-IO and SSOA are yet to establish joint army command to a pathway for the graduation of the first batch of the necessary unified forces.