By Emmanuel Mandella
The Tumaini peace talks have entered a critical phase with consultations intensifying ahead of the official opening of the talks on Wednesday.
Ambassador Muhammad Ali Guyo, the Deputy Chief Mediator, expressed optimism about the progress, emphasizing that the groundwork being laid is pivotal to the success of the process.
“This consultation is what will eventually give success to the entire process. The government delegation arrived fully prepared, and they have consistently reiterated their commitment to finding a solution and negotiating in good faith,” said Ambassador Guyo.
The talks were initially set to kick off on Monday, December 2, 2024, but it has been rescheduled to Wednesday to allow more time for the consultations.
Guyo hinted that the official ceremony was merely the “icing on the cake,” while the ongoing consultations are where substantive progress is achieved.
He confirmed that all government delegations are now present, ensuring a “full house” for the discussions. Consultations with the government delegation began on Saturday, while meetings with the opposition and stakeholders are set for Monday afternoon.
A joint session will follow to establish a unified body and finalize the agenda, which will guide the talks in the coming days.
“We are engaged with the government, and we are happy with what we have received so far. They came fully prepared, and they seem ready to engage constructively,” Guyo stated.
The mediator highlighted the importance of reflecting on progress made since the initial conference launch in May, particularly the nine protocols already signed and the roadmap established during the summit between President Salva Kiir and President Dr. William Ruto. The communique from the summit, which includes a two-week deadline for key outcomes, will serve as a guiding document for the parties.
“We will remind the parties and their supporters that the communique is clear, and the roadmap provides a framework to move forward,” Guyo explained.
He underscored the symbolic importance of achieving a breakthrough during the festive season.
“If the people of South Sudan are gifted by their leaders with a successful peace process, it will be a truly significant milestone. Above all, this should be the last mediation conducted outside South Sudan,” Guyo said.
Part of the 15-member government delegation, led by its leader, Gen. Kuol Manyang, met President Salva Kiir on Thursday last week, where the head of state urged them to engage and dialogue with the non-signatories to the 2018 peace agreement and seek a potential breakthrough to consolidate sustained country’s efforts on lasting peace in the country.
