0 3 min 1 yr

By Correspondent

President Salva Kiir on Friday (yesterday) dismissed the Chief Administrator of the Ruweng Administrative Area, Top Monyluak, and announced his replacement.

The decision was made through a presidential decree broadcast at the state-owned South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation (SSBC). However, no reasons was given as to why the administrator was removed from the position.

Minyluak was barely a year in the position, having been appointed in May 2024.

Meanwhile, the head of state reappointed Stefano Wieu, had previously held the role before being dismissed by the president in May 2024, to replace Monyluak.

The decree follows recent unrest in the Ruweng Administrative Area after armed youth from neighboring Mayom County in Unity State attacked Abiemnhom County, part of the administrative area.

Wednesday’s assault briefly resulted in the capture of the county headquarters and left at least 29 people dead, according to official figures.

In an exclusive interview with The City Review on Thursday, Abiemnom County Commissioner, Mario Deng Ayol, said the clashes had led to massive casualties and injuries.

Deng said the fight began on Tuesday morning when Mayom armed youth attacked cattle grazing areas, killing four people and wounding six.

He said the same group returned on Wednesday and seized the town.

“The armed youth from Mayom withdrew from the town of Abiemnom without fighting after they captured the town. They spent six hours in the town and they burned ten houses and also they destroyed everything,” Deng explained.

Meanwhile, Mayom County commissioner, James Liliy Kuol, said two people were killed and several others were injured.

However, Liliy blamed some members of the organized forces in Biemkat for instigating the conflict, saying together with Abiemnom youth, they ambushed Mayom cattle herders, stealing over 300 cattle.

“Cattle keepers from Mayom County were following their cattle when they were ambushed by some organized forces and Abiemnom County youth,” he claimed.

“They raided more than 300 cattle, which led to the deaths of four people from Abiemnom, including two soldiers,” Liliy added.

He continued that the Abiemnom authorities decided to detain milk vendors from Mayom after the ambush.

He argued that the subsequent attack by Mayom youth was to recover the stolen cattle and free the detainees, including 25 children, 18 of whom were girls.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *