0 3 min 2 yrs

In a document dated January 22, signed by Jonglei State Governor Mahjoub Biel, he ordered for the house arrest of Minister Ruk until further notice.

By Riak Chol

Authorities in Jonglei State have reportedly placed Isaac Mamer Ruk, the state Minister of Land and Housing under house arrest. Ruk has been accused of instigating the recent anti-Sudan protest that led to the looting of Sudanese shops in Bor.

In a document dated January 22, signed by Jonglei State Governor Mahjoub Biel, he ordered for the house arrest of Minister Ruk until further notice.

“Isaac Mamer Ruk is to remain at his home until further notice. His Excellency Mahjoub Biel Turuk, the Governor of the State and Chairperson of the Security Committee, shall form an investigation committee to investigate the Minister’s involvement in many security issues in the state, including recent developments such as the looting of the Marol Market,” the statement said.

Biel further urged the detained minister to remain in the state until the investigation is completed.

In response, Isaac Mamer Ruk said the accusations labelled against him are all baseless.

“The security charges that are put on me are baseless and unfound. When the incident happened here in Bor, he [governor] was on his way to Juba and I don’t know why the governor would leave the state if there are crises in the state,” said Ruk.

“Simon Hoth Dual, the Minister for Local Government was the acting governor and we have an adviser on economic affairs, myself as the minister of housing, security forces, and some of the elders in the state we were the people who went to the market and rescued the situation,” he added. 

On Friday last week, at least 16 people were injured, and 58 Sudanese nationals placed under government protection following violent protests in Jonglei State’s capital, Bor town.

Nyamar Lony Thichiot, the Jonglei State Information Minister stated that security forces were deployed to tame the unrest. “Violent protests occurred in the main market of Marol. The SSPDF, police, and NSS forces have been deployed by the government of Jonglei State to the market, and the situation is now calm,” the state minister revealed to the media following the demonstrations.

“Isaac Mamer Ruk is to remain at his home until further notice. His Excellency Mahjoub Biel Turuk, the Governor of the State and Chairperson of the Security Committee, shall form an investigation committee to investigate the Minister’s involvement in many security issues in the state,” statement by the Jonglei State Governor, Mahjoub Biel.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *