President Salva Kiir Mayardit has ordered the Ministry of Transport and the South Sudan Civil Aviation Authority to suspend the South Sudan Supreme Airlines from operating in the country.
The presidential directive comes up after a plane crash in Jonglei State on Tuesday, March 2, that killed all the passengers who were aboard the plane.
On Tuesday night, President Kiir issued a condolence message to the families of the victims of the ill-fated HK-4274 South Sudan Supreme Airline plane that crashed in Uror County in Jonglei.
Kiir said: “as a temporary measure to deal with these avoidable air accidents before laws governing civil aviation are strengthened via legislative means.’’
“I am hereby directing the Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation Authority to suspend South Sudan Airline Operations in the Country,” he ordered.
He continued: “this measure is necessary for those institutions to ascertain airworthiness of the remaining South Sudan planes.’’
He further explained that it was also a ‘necessary step to restoring public confidence in air travel in the country.’
The Director of Juba International Airport Kur Kuol told The City Review on Tuesday that the Civil Aviation Authority and the former governor had been sent a term to investigate the plane crash.
