0 4 min 5 yrs

The Director for Information and Public Relations, Pouk Both Baluang has trashed reports from the Kit Gwang faction that seven SPLA-IO generals and 300 forces had joined the Sudanese army.

In an interview with The City Review yesterday, Baluang said the SPLA-IO forces are for South Sudanese, and it makes no sense to say their forces had joined a different country.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

“Logically, it is impossible, we are South Sudanese, and we cannot join forces of another country. Secondly, our forces have made a tactical withdrawal from Amut so that we reorganise ourselves, not from the weakened position but from a strong position that is why we call for dialogue,” Pouk said.

“There are no forces which have joined Sudanese forces. It is mere propaganda to tarnish the names of the generals of the SPLM/A-IO.”

He further disclosed that their forces had tactically withdrawn after they were barred from counter-attacks by their commanders.

Pouk stressed the need for dialogue instead of fighting, adding that the people living in northern Upper Nile had undergone enough suffering and needed a break from the chaos.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

“Our forces were planning a counter-attack, but we said no, although our forces have the capacity to overpower them, we want to resolve this matter once and for all. If it is to break out of the SPLM-IO, let them go in peace and no need for them to create instability in the area.”

Contradictory reports

Since last week, the Kit Gwang faction had been sharing claims that they had defeated the SPLM/A-IO forces in Upper Nile. There had been claims that Gatwech’s forces had given 72 hours to Dr Machar’s forces to leave Upper Nile.

On Saturday, Sudans Post published a story claiming that seven SPLM/A-IO generals had surrendered to the Sudanese army.

“The office of information for Sudan People’s Liberation Army in Opposition, SPLA (IO), would once again inform the public that, the forces under command of Lt/Gen James Yak Dayiem who relatively launched (9) series attacks on Magenis since Aug 7th, to Dec 31st, have finally disarmed by the Sudan Army Forces (SAF) today this morning,” Gatjiath said in a statement extended to Sudan Post.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

“This was happening after they had refused to hand over their logistics (vehicles and weapons) to South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) at Masakbel military barrack on the Dec 31st. Therefore, the (FVP) and his acting Chief of Staff, Lt/Gen. Gabriel Duop Lam, had ordered their forces to evacuate Masakbel, back to the Sudan border and hand over their logistics to Sudan yesterday evening, but Nobody knows what is behind the plan,” he added.

Among other generals named were: Parjiek Toang, James Diang Latjor, Malual Diel Dak, Kuony Mut, Nuay Deng and Colonel Mut Tap.

Similar information was also circulated yesterday, raising the number of generals claimed to have surrendered to the Sudanese army to 45. But still mentioned were the above names, which do not add up to 45.

(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

“At least 45 South Sudan main armed opposition Sudan People’s Liberation Army in Opposition (SPLA-IO) commanders and their forces have surrendered to the Sudanese army after fleeing fighting with General Simon Gatwech Dual’s forces in northern [part of] Upper Nile state,” it read.

The two separate statements both indicated that Machar’s forces had been given 72 hours to leave Upper Nile “yesterday”, which makes them contradictory.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *