The Revitalised Transitional Government of National Unity (RTGoNU) has not nailed the right button in implementing the 2018 peace deal between President Salva Kiir and First Deputy President Dr Riek Machar.
This is according to the newly appointed Executive Secretary of Inter-governmental Authority on Development (Igad) Dr Workneh Gebeyehu.
In a sit-down one-on-one interview with Ugandan news outlet Daily Monitor on Sunday, February 28, Dr Gebeyehu highlighted his blueprint to steer the bloc to greater heights. But it was during that interview that he also lamented the slow pace in which the South Sudanese peace deal is being implemented.
He is quoted saying: ‘‘the revitalised peace agreement was signed, and the president and first vice president committed to it, and others lauded it and everyone promised to support it. The process is ongoing.
‘‘There was a deadlock on formation of the new government but the process of implementation of the agreement was not done according to plan.’’
He said IGAD will continue pushing for the implementation of the deal to ensure that all the structures of governance are in place ahead of the expected election.
‘‘We continue engaging the leaders because we cannot afford for the country to go back to war; it is a rich country that has a lot of opportunities; the population is hopeful, and the leaders have to recognise they need to go forward. We continue to push this agenda of the revitalised peace process,’’ he said.
Time-barred process
The 2018 peace deal was meant to run for 36 months (3 years) after which the youngest nation would hold an election.
But up to now, there is no certainty that the country will hold an election owing to the pending chapters to be implemented. President Kiir recently announced state appointments in six states such as Central Equatoria State, Unity State, Northern Baher El Ghazal State, Warrap State, Jongolei State and Western Baher El Ghazal. But the government is also yet to convene the transitional legislative assembly as well as graduate the Necessary Unified Forces.
In the last week of February, when the country commemorated the RTGoNU anniversary, the Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO) revealed that a total of 17 months have gone to waste since 2018. The report, which was shared by CEPO’s Executive Director Edmund Yakani, indicated that of the wasted months, eight of them came in 2020 during the COVID-19 outbreak.
The recent presidential appointments also brushed Members of Parliament allied to the Third Vice President Taban Deng the wrong way. The lawmakers have protested saying they have been excluded from the state appointments despite being part of the peace deal.
