0 4 min 1 yr

By Emmanuel Mandella

The lifeline road linking Yambio to Juba is slowly turning into a valley of death due to the rampant ambushes along the road.

On Monday, unidentified gunmen opened fire on a humanitarian truck, wounding the driver, as it raised fears of escalating highway attacks in Western Equatoria State.

The attack occurred at around 10 a.m. between Lainyi, Doro, and Buagyi in Mundri East County, according to County Commissioner John Henry Ngalamu.

“The driver was shot in the leg but still managed to reach Jambo Boma center for medical help, and we suspect the assailants may be NAS rebels, who have staged similar assaults before,” John Henry told The City Review on Tuesday in an exclusive interview.

The vehicle belonging to a United Nations agency was riddled with bullets as it ferried aid supplies, leaving the driver injured and aid operations temporarily disrupted.

According to the Western Equatoria State Police Commissioner, Maj. Gen. Philip Madut Tong, there were no fatalities, but said investigations are underway to “hold the perpetrators accountable.”

Meanwhile, an eyewitness traveling the same route described the moment as “pure horror,” saying they were unable to stop and help for fear of becoming the next target.

While no group has claimed responsibility, the incident comes days after Western Equatoria’s Deputy Governor, Badagbu Daniel Rimbasa, condemned what he called “politically motivated ambushes” along the Juba–Mundri–Yambio highway.

He accused the SPLA-IO forces loyal to former governor Alfred Futuyo of being behind several recent attacks in the State.

Meanwhile, in the last two weeks, at least three people were killed, several others abducted and passengers’ property looted.

In some cases, attackers torched vehicles and motorcycles after robbing passengers of cash, phones, and personal belongings.

The Juba–Yambio highway is a critical artery for transporting food, medicine, and humanitarian supplies to communities in Western Equatoria State.

Some Security experts warn that repeated ambushes could cripple service delivery, delay humanitarian aid, and sharply increase transport costs for local passengers who depend on this route.

“Every bullet fired at a humanitarian convoy is a bullet fired at the people waiting for that aid. These attacks are forcing truck drivers to reconsider their routes and that could mean empty shelves in clinics and markets,” said a humanitarian worker in Yambio, who asked for the name to be withheld.

Since South Sudan’s descent into conflict in December 2013 and renewed violence in 2016, the country has remained one of the most dangerous places for aid workers due to the rampant insecurity of road ambushes, targeted killings and abductions.

And across the country, aid workers have faced fatal attacks in Jonglei, Upper Nile, Unity, and Central Equatoria, with humanitarian compounds looted in Leer, Bentiu, and Malakal.

Last year alone, the U.N. reported more than 400 security incidents targeting aid operations nationwide.

As investigations into Monday’s attack continue, humanitarian agencies and commercial transporters face a grim reality: without stronger security guarantees, South Sudan’s roads meant to connect will remain corridors of fear.

“We cannot deliver services when our people are hunted on the road. If this continues, we risk losing both lives and the trust of our citizens,” Deputy Governor Rimbasa said.

For now, the Juba–Yambio highway remains open, but for those who wish to travel, every journey must begin with the “Lord’s Prayer.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *