CTSAMVM was dismayed to hear from community representatives of civilian loss of lives and displacement.
By James Chatim
The Ceasefire and Transitional Security Arrangements Monitoring and Verification Mechanism (CTSAMVM) has condemned the series of confrontations between the SSPDF and SPLA-IO in Western Equatoria State.
Speaking during the CTSAMVM Technical Committee meeting in Juba on Wednesday, Maj. Gen. Yitayal Gelaw Bitew, the Chairperson of CTSAMVM, appealed to both parties to exercise the appropriate control of all forces under their command.
“Esteemed senior party representatives, during this reporting period, the ceasefire between signatory parties remains in effect across the majority of areas monitored by CTSAMVM’s Monitoring and Verification Teams,” he said.
“However, for the first time in my tenure as Chairman, I regret that I cannot state that the ceasefire’s integrity has endured across South Sudan. I refer to the armed clashes involving two signatory parties along the State boundary between Western Equatoria State and Western Bahr El Ghazal,” said Maj. Gen. Gelaw.
He continued that when the reports of armed clashes first emerged over the weekend of 11 and 12 January, CTSAMVM was dismayed to hear from community representatives of civilian loss of lives and displacement.
Gen. Gelaw added that the incident was immediately discussed within the CTSAMVM Joint Monitoring and Coordination Office, and it was unanimously agreed that Sector 3 Monitoring and Verification Teams would be tasked to investigate. “Investigations continue into these and subsequent armed exchanges in the vicinity of Bo Bridge,” he reported.
“CTSAMVM condemns this series of armed exchanges between two signatory parties and appeals to both parties to exercise the appropriate control of all forces under their command.”
He reminded both parties of their responsibilities to lead by example and embrace dialogue and mediation to resolve grievances.
Also, earlier this month, the United Nations Mission in South Sudan had expressed deep concerns about the reports of clashes between armed forces in Western Equatoria which have resulted in civilian casualties and displacement.
In a statement, UNMISS called for intervention from the highest levels of government to prevent further deterioration of the security situation following several violent incidents between the two parties in the area around Nagero.
“We call on all military actors to refrain from conflict and resolve tensions through dialogue,” said the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of UNMISS, Nicholas Haysom at the time.
“This incident also highlights the need to urgently progress the deployment of Necessary Unified Forces across the country.”
“CTSAMVM condemns this series of armed exchanges between two signatory parties and appeals to both parties to exercise the appropriate control of all forces under their command,” Maj. Gen. Yitayal Gelaw Bitew, the Chairperson of CTSAMVM.
