There were stark differences over the formation of a high-level delegation to address the conflict in Nyirol, with the governor cancelling an order earlier issued by his deputy
By Jacob Bol
Jonglei State-based human rights activist is calling on the governor and his deputy to resolve their differences amicably over the formation of a high-level delegation to address the conflict in Nyirol.
In a statement seen by The City Review, the office of the deputy governor issued an order forming a thirty-men high-level committee on the security situation in Nyirol.
However, the next day, the governor issued a separate order comprising 17 people to perform similar task.
Activist, Bol Deng Bol, said it was beyond doubt that the Government of Jonglei State is yet again plunging into a confused trajectory, as these disagreements over who gets to take the initiative to form an inquiry committee to deescalate the conflict and restore peace in Nyirol.
“I want to remind the Governor and Deputy Governor of Jonglei State of the consultative and objective manner of leadership prescribed to leaders by the peace accord. They should revisit the guiding principles stipulated in the peace agreement,” said Deng
He warned that the two leaders risk further disintegration of the entire government as well as render the people of Nyirol County hopeless while they are in dire need of guidance and support.
“This is shameful and a disappointing development in the politics of Jonglei State,” Deng stated
“This confrontational manner of work in Jonglei’s helm of leadership can be likened to the previous administrations, signifying the unwillingness of the Governor and Deputy to change and adapt to the collegiality requirement of the peace agreement,” he explained.
The conflicting orders between the governor and his deputy were issued to address a deadly fighting that erupted between communities of Cie-Puol and Cie-Dumin in the county headquarters, Langkien town, last week, resulting in the killing of at least seven people and the injury of 24 others in revenge attacks.
This would lead to the issuance of an order by the State’s Deputy Governor Atong Kuol Manyang Juuk, on Friday last week, establishing a State High-Level Committee to intervene in the conflict. The Deputy Governor, who, in her order, stated she was acting on behalf of her boss, set up a 13-member committee, which was to be headed by Local Government Minister Simon Hoth Duol and deputized by his gender and social welfare counterpart, William Kuol Chuol as well as Members of parliament at the national and state levels and local community leaders.
Surprisingly, governor Mahjoub Biel Turuk, would later canceled an administrative order issued by the deputy to establish the committee, in what pundits have attributed to a rift within the county leadership.
“This confrontational manner of work in Jonglei’s helm of leadership can be likened to the previous administrations, signifying the unwillingness of the Governor and Deputy to change and adapt to the collegiality requirement of the peace agreement,” Jonglei State-based human rights activist Bol Deng Bol.
