Millions of people in South Sudan in danger of losing lifesaving food aid amid funding crisis, a report by the World Food Programme has announced, adding that 2.3 million children across the country are now at risk of malnutrition,
By Ajah Jennifer
The World Food Programme (WFP) has issued a stark warning that millions of South Sudanese could lose access to lifesaving food assistance as severe funding shortages threaten the continuity of humanitarian operations across the country.
In a report released on Tuesday, WFP revealed that 83,000 people are currently facing catastrophic levels of food insecurity. Of these, 32,000 are in Upper Nile State, where renewed fighting since March has displaced thousands and restricted humanitarian access. The situation in Nasir and Ulang Counties is particularly alarming, with the risk of famine looming if consistent aid does not reach affected populations.
The crisis has been compounded by the arrival of nearly 1.2 million people fleeing conflict in neighboring Sudan since April 2023. This influx has placed enormous strain on already scarce resources and stretched the capacity of humanitarian actors.
WFP further reported that 2.3 million children in South Sudan are now at risk of malnutrition. Conflict-affected areas in Upper Nile and flood-prone regions such as Bentiu are among the most severely impacted.
“The scale of humanitarian needs in South Sudan is staggering, but the scale of suffering here does not make headlines,” said Carl Skau, WFP Deputy Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer, during a visit to the country last week. “Rising needs and shrinking resources are forcing us to scale back, even in places where people are on the brink of famine.”
Despite growing challenges, WFP continues to deliver emergency aid where possible. In July, the agency carried out airdrops of 430 metric tons of food to reach 40,000 people in remote parts of Upper Nile. It also resumed vital river convoys on the White Nile, delivering over 1,380 metric tons of food and essential supplies to isolated communities.
In Jonglei’s Uror County, sustained WFP deliveries this year helped ease catastrophic hunger, offering a clear example that humanitarian access combined with relative peace can yield meaningful progress.
Still, due to funding constraints, WFP has only been able to reach 30 percent of those facing severe hunger with regular assistance. Without urgent new contributions, the agency warns that further ration cuts will be unavoidable by September. Such reductions risk reversing fragile gains in areas where progress had been made.
“WFP has the expertise, the teams, and the capacity to deliver, even in the most remote and challenging environments,” said Skau. “But without sufficient funding and a period of peace, our hands are tied. This is a country endowed with natural resources and a vibrant youthful population. It is time to unlock its full potential.”
WFP is urgently appealing to donors to step up their support to avert worsening hunger and malnutrition. The organization estimates it needs an additional US$274 million to continue providing reduced rations to 2.5 million people through December. This would still only cover a portion of the 7.7 million South Sudanese currently facing severe food insecurity.
As South Sudan continues to grapple with conflict, flooding, economic hardship, and displacement, the humanitarian situation remains dire. Without immediate international support, millions risk being left to face hunger and malnutrition without help.
