0 5 min 5 mths

Meanwhile, humanitarian officials have reported growing displacement across the border into Ethiopia and incidents of looting in Akobo town, raising fears that insecurity could rapidly worsen.

By Riak Chol and Liam Josh

A looming government offensive in Akobo town, Jonglei State, has forced civilians and humanitarian organizations to flee within 72 hours, raising fears of a worsening humanitarian crisis, according to Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF).

The evacuation order, reportedly issued by government forces on March 6, has left hundreds of thousands of residents in Akobo facing an impossible choice: flee without protection or remain in the town and risk violence while losing access to essential healthcare services.

MSF said the population in Akobo includes more than 17,000 people who were recently displaced by ongoing conflict in the region. Many of them had only arrived weeks ago seeking safety.

“The consequences for people are devastating,” said Christophe Garnier, head of mission for MSF in South Sudan. “Families are being forced to abandon their homes repeatedly, with no safe alternatives. For many who have already been displaced multiple times, there is simply nowhere left to go.”

Health services disrupted

On March 7, MSF evacuated its team from Akobo following the order, leaving hundreds of thousands of residents without access to primary healthcare services.

During the evacuation, Akobo hospital — where MSF supports the paediatric ward — was looted along with the organization’s pharmacy, resulting in the loss of medicines and medical supplies. MSF said its office was also ransacked by unknown assailants over the weekend.

Some residents have already begun fleeing across the border to Ethiopia, while others are seeking refuge in the nearby village of Meer.

The withdrawal has also halted preparations for the upcoming malaria season, as well as vaccination campaigns and basic healthcare services for both local residents and displaced communities.

Escalating violence in Jonglei

The evacuation comes amid rising violence across Jonglei State.

MSF said its teams left Pieri on 29 January following armed clashes. Days later, on 3 February, airstrikes in Lankien reportedly killed civilians and destroyed the town’s last functioning hospital.

Nearly 280,000 people have been displaced in recent months, including about 80,000 in Akobo County alone.

Akobo is a remote area with limited healthcare infrastructure, and MSF is one of the few organizations providing medical services to an estimated 112,000 people. The organization had only regained access to the area three weeks ago after government restrictions previously blocked flights and medical supplies.

Calls to protect civilians

MSF has called on all parties to the conflict to protect civilians, safeguard medical facilities and ensure humanitarian organizations can continue delivering lifesaving assistance.

“These repeated government-imposed evacuations leave people trapped, exposed to violence, and cut off from humanitarian aid,” Garnier said. “We are deeply concerned that Akobo hospital could be hit, depriving communities of the medical care they need to survive.”

Aid groups warn that newly displaced families are already living in makeshift shelters with limited food, clean water and protection, leaving them vulnerable to disease, hunger and further violence.

MSF said continued attacks on health facilities and restrictions on humanitarian operations are severely limiting their ability to respond at a time when communities in South Sudan need urgent assistance.

Reading from the same script, Humanitarian Country Team (HCT) in South Sudan expressed deep concern over the military order, warning that the directive could expose hundreds of thousands of civilians to serious danger and trigger a major humanitarian crisis.

“Any military action in or around such a densely populated area would expose civilians to grave danger and risk triggering a catastrophic humanitarian crisis,” the statement said.

From humanitarian bodies to faith organizations, the voices have reunited into a common plea: stop the military operations in Jonglei state, to save lives or protect civilians from harms way.

In a statement, the South Sudan Council of Churches called on the government to stop the military operations in Jonglei state, to protect the lives of innocent civilians and any destruction of propety in the area.

The council of churches urged the country’s leaders to embark on the journey of genuine dialogue by addressing all forms of conflict.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *