By Emmanuel Mandella
The Secretariat of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) in Tombura County has expressed deep sorrow over the tragic death of Lina Nyesi Justin Demonde, a civilian who lost her life in a violent incident involving the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) on the night of December 25, 2024.
In a press statement signed by Paul Tunga Yambio, the SPLM County Secretary, the Secretariat extended its condolences to the bereaved family and condemned the act.
According to the statement, the incident occurred as the SSPDF was escorting humanitarian aid to Rii-Yubu Ngboko Parish when an unknown gunman attacked, leading to the tragic events.
The SPLM County Secretariat emphasized the importance of community vigilance amidst the current volatile situation and urged the public to distance themselves from criminal activities.
“Let the community and family members remind themselves to remain vigilant and to be proactive in safeguarding peace and security,” the statement read.
The government has launched an investigation into the incident, which also involved the brutal beating of Lina Nyesi, who was reportedly innocent and uninvolved in criminal activities. A separate individual sustained a gunshot injury on the hand, but the whereabouts is still unknown. “God will judge whoever is responsible for this senseless violence,” the statement added.
The SPLM leadership in Tambura County called for calm and unity among community members, urging them to embody the values of peace, forgiveness, and resilience. “Let us not judge what happened ourselves. Only God can judge those who created this tragedy for their selfish interests,” said Cde. Yambio.
The statement concluded with a heartfelt prayer for the deceased, whose soul was described as innocent. “May her soul rest in eternal peace,” it said.
This tragic incident underscores the continued need for strengthened security measures in the region and for collaborative efforts to promote peace and stability in Tambura County.
Last week, civil society activist Edmund Yakani condemned the violent incident, and called for accountability from those involved.
“This extrajudicial action against civilians is unacceptable and a gross violation of South Sudan’s Bill of Rights,” Yakani emphasized.
The ongoing violence in Tombura County has destabilized the region, and affected the internally displaced persons (IDPs) who have sought refuge between Source Yubu Payam and Ngboko Boma. These IDPs, already fleeing past conflicts, now face additional threats to their safety and dignity amidst the unrest.
The activist, however, commended the leadership of Western Equatoria State for their efforts to restore stability by removing the security forces that had overstayed in the area, and instead deployed the unified forces, who have brought relative calm to parts of the region.
