0 6 min 2 yrs

The South Sudanese delegation returned to the country on Saturday and requested a temporary adjournment to consult further with their leadership in Juba

By Emmanuel Mandella

The government delegation to the Tumaini initiative talks in Nairobi, Kenya, has dismissed the allegations that the talks had collapsed.

Ambassador Mohamed Guyo, the deputy chief mediator said the mediation has reached a consensus on four critical agenda items, including the relationship between Tumaini Initiative protocols and the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan (R-ARCSS).

The mediation team has also drafted a single negotiating framework titled “Draft Framework for the Tumaini Complement to R-ARCSS, designed to reconcile these agreements.

“This framework integrates all positions submitted by the parties, creating a solid foundation to move forward with political goodwill and shared commitment to peace,” Ambassador Guyo said.

In a call for unity and momentum, as the mediation process enters a critical phase, the Kenyan mediation team called on all stakeholders to prioritize the aspirations of South Sudanese citizens.

“The people of South Sudan deserve unity, stability, and development,” Guyo added.

The South Sudanese delegation returned to the country on Saturday and requested a temporary adjournment to consult further with their leadership in Juba as talks are expected to resume in mid-January 2025.

Kenya’s president William Ruto had earlier asked the main participants in the discussion not to leave the country until they reached a final deal.

Puot Kang Chol,  the deputy head of the government delegation dismissed the speculations that the Tumaini initiative had collapsed.

He said the adjournment does not signal a breakdown in the negotiations.

“We are taking a break to ensure all parties return with aligned positions. This initiative is led by the President of the Republic of South Sudan and has the full backing of RTGONU (Revitalized Transitional Government of National Unity),” he clarified.

He dismissed the claims of what he referred to as “anti-Tumaini sentiments.”  “The notion that there are factions opposing this initiative is unfounded. Our delegation represents all parties to the R-ARCSS, and our mandate is to build on the progress already achieved.”

However, Lual Dau, Secretary-General of the South Sudan Opposition Movement Alliance (SSOMA), reaffirmed their dedication to finalizing the Responsibility-Sharing Protocol, the last outstanding issue in the Tumaini Initiative.

“We urge all parties to heed the call of Dr. William Ruto, President of Kenya, to resolve these matters as a Christmas gift to the people of South Sudan,” Dau stated.

The opposition views the Tumaini Consensus as a “rescue plan” that will usher South Sudan into a new era of sustainable peace and democracy.

Confirming the adjounrnment of the peace talks, the Tumaini Initiative Mediation, in a letter dated December 14, 2024, stated that the government delegation requested a temporary adjournment to return to Juba for further consultation, saying the mediation will resume in mid-January 2025.

According to the statement, while both the previous government delegation and the opposition groups had submitted their positions at the beginning of the negotiations seven months ago, and jointly developed eight protocols, the current government delegation presented a position paper with various issues.

The mediation team identified these issues raised by the Gen. Kuol Manyang-led delegation, consulted the opposition and stakeholders, and incorporated them into four agenda items, out of which a bridging proposal was developed.

The four key agenda items agreed on by the parties and stakeholders include:  Relationship between the Tumaini Initiative and the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan (R-ARCSS); Repetition, mechanisms/structures, and contradictions between the Tumaini Protocols and R-ARCSS; Responsibility sharing and; Concluding the Tumaini Initiative.

“Based on these agenda items and the input of all parties and stakeholders, the mediation has prepared a single negotiating text, called the “Draft Framework for the Tumaini Complement to R-ARCSS”. It urges all parties to approach the talks with openness, political goodwill and a shared committtment to peace for the wellbeing of peace of South Sudan,” the statement reads in part.

With a renewed commitment to dialogue and a robust framework in place, hopes are high that the Tumaini Initiative will pave the way for lasting peace in South Sudan. The stakes are clear: the country’s future depends on the willingness of its leaders to embrace compromise and prioritize the well-being of their people.

“We are taking a break to ensure all parties return with aligned positions. This initiative is led by the President of the Republic of South Sudan and has the full backing of RTGONU,” Puot Kang Chol,  the deputy head of the government delegation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *