0 3 min 2 yrs

The rally was intended to promote peace and unity following unrest that has gripped the region

By Emmanuel Mandella

The Deputy Governor of Western Equatoria State (WES), Daniel Badagbu, has postponed a much-anticipated public rally in Tombura, citing escalating security concerns in the area.

The rally, originally scheduled for Monday, was intended to promote peace and unity following recent unrest that has gripped the community.

In a public statement issued through local media, Badagbu expressed his regret over the postponement but underscored the importance of safeguarding public safety. He called on the people of Tombura to rise above violence and embrace reconciliation as the cornerstone of their recovery.

“Tombura must choose peace over violence. Violence knows no boundaries. It affects everyone, regardless of tribe, religion, or social status,” the deputy governor said firmly.

Badagbu acknowledged the emotional toll of the recent unrest, noting that the wounds of conflict run deep. However, he emphasized the need for courage and determination to rebuild trust and foster unity.

“The future of Tombura is in the hands of its people. By prioritizing peace over revenge and unity over division, we can heal and restore the trust that has been damaged. This is not just about one community. It is about the collective future of Western Equatoria,” he said.

He also warned of the long-term effects of violence, particularly on the youth. “Violence destroys progress and extinguishes hope for lasting peace. It robs children of their innocence and the opportunity to thrive in a stable environment,” Badagbu stated, urging the community to stand together to protect their shared future.

Badagbu assured residents that the state government remains committed to addressing the security situation and promoting reconciliation. He promised to issue further directives in the coming days, outlining concrete steps to mitigate the crisis and ensure lasting peace.

“Peace is not just the absence of conflict it is the presence of justice, equality, and shared progress,” he stated, urging all stakeholders to contribute to the implementation of the peace agreement and work towards a harmonious coexistence.

Last week, the Deputy Governor launched a peace mission to Tambura to address the ongoing violence.

Speaking to journalists in Yambio, Badagbu explained the mission’s purpose, emphasizing the need to de-escalate the conflict that has caused significant loss of lives and destruction of property.

“We have formed a committee of Tambura politicians from both the Balanda and Azande communities. The aim is to de-escalate the violence and foster peace. This is not a mediation mission, but a direct intervention to engage the communities and halt the conflict,” he stated.

The mission included representatives from SPLM-IO, SPLM-IG, SSOA, and OPP, as well as politicians from Ezo, Nagero, and Tambura counties.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *