0 4 min 1 yr

The move is part of a framework to enhance security and stability in the Upper Nile State, following tensions between armed civilians and the national army in Nasir and Ulang Counties

By Chuol Chanyong

n a move aimed at containing the escalating crisis in the Upper Nile State, First Vice President, Dr. Riek Machar, has formed a committee to calm the situation in the Upper Nile State.

Speaking to The City Review on Sunday, Puok Both Baluang, the press secretary in the office of the First Vice President, said the committee is led by the two Commissioners from Nasir and Ulang Counties, and includes five individuals from each of the Counties.

“One of the main tasks of the committee is to coordinate the reception of the national army, the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF), which was deployed in the counties,” Baluang said.

The move is part of a framework to enhance security and stability in the Upper Nile State, following tensions between armed civilians and the national army in Nasir and Ulang Counties.

Responding to reports that the local youth had resisted the deployment, Baluang denied the asserts, saying that what they witnessed recently was to incite the youths into war, something that they are vehemently opposed to. He said the young have laid out clear demands.

Over the weekend, unconfirmed reports circulated on media platforms claiming that as part of efforts to restore calm and stability in the region, the Vice President for Economic Cluster, Dr. Benjamin Bol Mel, conducted extensive discussions with three commissioners from Upper Nile State and Jonglei, between February 23 to March 1.

According to the reports, the Vice President met spiritual leaders, leaders of the White Army among other opinion leaders from the Counties of Nasir, Ulang and Nyirol, and discussed on areas regarding strengthening dialogue between the conflicting parties, and creating a common ground for peace restoration in the region.

Further, the talks resulted in an initial agreement that allows the deployment of the SSPDF, while emphasizing that disarmament talks will be held once security is stabilized.   

The statements claimed that the White Army agreed to allow passage of the SSPDF to Nasir County, reflecting the beginning of a breakthrough, with the spiritual and traditional leaders expressing their willingness to cooperate with efforts to achieve peace.   

“In a further effort to consolidate peace, Dr. Bol Mel is organizing a meeting in Juba for White Army leaders, spiritual leaders, and traditional authorities from the Eastern Jikany Nuer, Lou Nuer, and Fangak Nuer communities. This meeting, to be hosted by President Salva Kiir Mayardit, will provide a platform for direct engagement with these leaders to foster reconciliation and stability among their communities,” the statement noted.

Last week, the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement In Opposition (SPLM-IO) MPs representing Upper Nile State in the Transitional National Legislature Assembly (TNLA) condemned what they termed as the ‘unilateral deployment of SSPDF forces’ in Nasir and Ulang counties, warning that it could trigger fresh conflict in the areas.

However, in a statement, the national army stated that its operations are a response to a growing threat posed by SPLA-IO forces and their affiliated militias, particularly the White Army

Notably, the region has been witnessing intermittent tensions for months, amid fears of escalation of violence.

With various parties now showing signs of working together, there appears to be a new glimmer of hope to achieve stability in the Upper Nile and Jonglei, which reflects a strong will to end the conflict and open a new chapter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *