0 3 min 2 yrs

By Anak Dut

The Governor of Central Equatoria State Augustino Jadalla on Thursday ordered the commissioner of Kajo Keji County to stop any illegal logging activities in the area.

This followed a meeting with Commissioner David Lisi Christopher, and Security Coordinator Data Godfrey over allegations of fresh logging in Kajo-Keji County.

The two officials appeared before the Governor at the State Secretariat, Juba to answer questions about controversial reports of fresh logging as well as to provide updates on rehabilitation of internal roads in Kajo-Keji, a project launched by the governor last month.

“After listening to their accounts, Governor Jadalla issued an immediate order to halt all logging activities in the County pending the formation of an investigative committee to establish the facts surrounding the issue,” the statement said.

Jadalla also directed the confiscation of “all equipment involved in logging operations, including logging machines, loaders, and vehicles.”

He further instructed the commissioner to ensure that any trucks loaded with freshly cut logs and currently detained at the Jale border point be returned, with the logs offloaded at their original collection sites.

Governor Jadalla strongly condemned illegal and commercial logging activities in the area, warning that those involved would face consequences.

Jadalla refuted the allegations that he had directed the cutting of live trees as reported on social media.

The governor asserted that during his visit to Kajo-Keji last month he launched the collection and sale of old, rotting logs for road rehabilitation purposes but did not approve the cutting of live trees.

“Those trees are the community’s treasure. They play a vital role in conserving the environment. Why would anyone want to mismanage? What kind of curses and poverty are those involved trying to bring upon the community and Kajo-Keji?” Jadalla said.

On a separate note, the Governor also suspended the ongoing rehabilitation of the internal roads project in Kajo-Keji pending a report to be established by the investigation committee.

He stated that he would await a “comprehensive fact-based report from the investigation committee” to guide the government’s next course of action.”

He urged the Commissioner and the Security Coordinator to work together in the county to ensure collective efforts in giving people hope and ensuring stability in the county.

He also directed the two officials to go on the ground and jointly brief the chiefs and people of Kajo-Keji on the directives he had made about the fresh logging and rehabilitation of the internal roads.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *