0 3 min 6 mths

The Government of Jonglei State has strongly condemned a deadly ambush on civilians in Kuachdeng Payam of Ayod County, blaming elements of the SPLM/IO for the attack that left two people dead and eight others injured.

According to a statement issued on February 14 by the Nyamar Lony Thichot, state Ministry of Information and Communication, the incident occurred on February 13 at around 5:00 p.m., when armed assailants ambushed civilians traveling from Duk Padiet to Ayod.

Nyamar said wounded victims are currently receiving treatment in Duk.

“The Government of Jonglei State condemns in the strongest term possible the attack carried out by SPLM/IO elements on innocent civilians,” said Nyamar

She said the victims had traveled to Bor to purchase food supplies and were returning home at the time of the ambush.

The government warned that such attacks undermine the safety of civilians moving between Duk Padiet and Kuachdeng in Ayod County.

 Nyamar called on county authorities to take immediate action to address internal security threats and ensure that those responsible are brought to justice.

She urged increased vigilance in the affected area and expressed sympathy for the families of the victims.

“The Government of Jonglei State pays its heartfelt condolences to the families who lost their loved ones, stands in solidarity with people who lost their properties and wish a quick recovery to the wounded persons,” said Nyamar.

The spate of attacks in recent days have sparked cincern from leaders in the region, who now call for restraint and peace.

On Thursday last week, a member of the Jonglei State Transitional Legislative Assembly representing Baidit paaryam condemned a large-scale cattle raid in Baidit Payam, describing it as a targeted attack that has devastated the local community and threatens regional peace.

John Mabil Alier Mayen, the MP representing Baidit Payam, issued the statement following a raid allegedly carried out by armed criminals believed to have come from the Greater Pibor Administrative Area (GPAA).

According to local reports, the attackers stole approximately 3,000 head of cattle in the early hours of Tuesday morning and killed dozens of other livestock.

Mayen described the incident as more than ordinary banditry, calling it a serious blow to both livelihoods and ongoing peace efforts in the region.

“Armed criminals launched a violent raid, resulting in the theft of thousands of cattle the primary livelihood of our community,” he said. “By stripping the Baidit community of their assets, these criminals are consigning families to poverty.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *