0 2 min 2 yrs

By James Chatim,

South Sudan President Salva Kiir has hinted on the date of the resumption of Tumaini peace Initiative. Delivering his solemn wishes in his new year’s message, President stated that the peace negotiations in Nairobi, Kenya, will resume in January 6, 2025. He also called on the opposition group to show patriotism and put the interest of the country first.

“The Year 2025 will be a year of unity of purpose toward comprehensive peace in our nation.  In my view, peace is the uncontested factor for the survival of our nation. Therefore, the Tumaini Initiative peace negotiation – taking place in Nairobi, Kenya will resume in January 6th, 2025. I ask our brothers in the opposition to show patriotism and put the interest our country first,” the president said in a statement.

“We are in a transitional government made up of parties to the agreement. I do not foresee it just to leave any party behind, nor isolate some of the existing parties to the agreement. I implore us to compromise; to accommodate all the parties for the time has come where leadership is needed more than politics. Politics is casted on positions seeking and self- interest; but leadership is about vision for a better tomorrow, for the next generation,” he said.

  The Nairobi-backed mediation for South Sudan is now facing tight schedule as it was given only two weeks to come up with an agreement that would be acceptable to all parties, following four months of near-stall in talks.

Despite the newly found goodwill from the parties following the relaunch of the talks in November 4, 2024, after it stalled in July last year, there is guarded optimism as the heads of the government delegation and that of the opposition appeared to hold on to their strong positions.     

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *