This incursion adds to already mounting insecurity in the area, including the July killing of several civilians in the Lire area of Kajo-Keji by unidentified uniformed personnel.
By Binia Elizabeth
An estimated 16,000 people have been displaced in Kajo-Keji County following the recent incursion by the Uganda People’s Defense Forces (UPDF), the Government of Central Equatoria State has reported.
The humanitarian crisis was highlighted during an ordinary meeting of the State Security Committee held on Tuesday in Juba, chaired by Governor Rabi Mujung Emmanuel.
The committee reviewed ongoing security challenges across Central Equatoria, with particular focus on Kajo-Keji, Yei River, and Morobo counties.
In his address to the media, the Acting Minister of Information and Communication, Jacob Aligo Lo-Lado, told reporters after the meeting that the UPDF’s cross-border entry into South Sudanese territory led to the displacement of approximately 16,000 civilians from Kangapo 2 and Liwolo Payams.
“These civilians are now sheltering in six different locations across Kajo-Keji, under extremely difficult conditions, this incursion has created a serious humanitarian crisis that we must address urgently.” said Aligo
This incursion adds to already mounting insecurity in the area, including the July killing of several civilians in the Lire area of Kajo-Keji by unidentified uniformed personnel. That incident sparked fear and mass displacement, with many residents fleeing across the border into Uganda.
Meanwhile, in Yei River County, the Minister said the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) had restored full control of Lasu and Libogo after joint opposition forces from SPLM/A-IO and NAS launched coordinated attacks on August 16.
“Our forces responded swiftly, repelled the attackers, and stabilized the security situation in both areas,” Aligo said, adding that calm had since returned.
The committee also discussed the growing presence of holdout armed groups in Morobo County and rising incidents of crime, including land grabbing, in the state capital, Juba.
Reaffirming the government’s commitment to restoring peace and stability, Minister Aligo said all security forces across Central Equatoria have been directed to operate within the rule of law and prioritize civilian protection.
“The State Government will not tolerate threats to public safety, whether from foreign forces, holdout groups, or criminal elements,” he emphasized.
At least six people died last month (July) in clashes between South Sudan and Uganda military personnel near their shared border of Kajo Keji.
Elements from the two armies exchanged fire at the border, killing five South Sudanese (SSPDF) soldiers and a Ugandan soldier.
