0 4 min 2 yrs

Jonglei State Deputy Governor, Atong Kuol Manyang told media she believes the attackers of the deadly cattle herders were from the Pibor Administrative Area and Eastern Equatoria State.

By James Chatim

Authorities in Greater Pibor Administrative Area (GPAA) have said their youth were not involved in the Aru Junction cattle camp attacks.

Speaking to The City Review on Monday, Jacob Werchum Jouk, the Greater Pibor Administrative Area Information Minister said no youth from their area crossed to Magwi County of Eastern Equatoria to raid cattle.

Werchum said the authorities in GPAA are aware of the information circulating in social media that youth from Pibor were involved in the attack where Dinka Bor cattle camp was attacked by unidentified armed youth. 

“When we talk of Magwi, the County falls under Eastern Equatoria or Central Equatoria. And we are in Upper Nile. What connects us to the attack that happened from that side? There is no tribe members that went there to attack people from that side. And there is no cattle that were brought from that side,” the Information Minister said.

“We are not aware and we are not involved in that incident. We also heard on social media that some youths were crossing. They went and met with the Equatorian youth counterpart and then they attacked that area,” he explained.

“This is the statement we heard on social media. Now, as a government, we will step in and investigate to find out whether our people are involved or not. And if for sure they are involved in that incident, then now we will be able to take appropriate measures. But we are yet to confirm whether our people actually went or not. We will investigate to find out,” he added.

Jonglei State Deputy Governor, Atong Kuol Manyang told Eye Radio she believes the attackers of the deadly cattle herders in Nyolo of Magwi County in Eastern Equatoria were from the Pibor Administrative Area and Eastern Equatoria State.

“The cattle keepers were attacked by youth from Murle and as a result, of course, when they were attacking, they were also joined by some youth from which includes youth from Toposa and youth from Boya,” Atong told Eye Radio.

“So far, the information we had is that over 30 were killed, most of them were children and women. Out of 33, which I had in hand, 20 were women and children, and the rest were youth and some elderly people,” Atong added, stating that the number could rise as some people might have died in the mountains.

However, in a statement responding to the allegations circulated on social linking the youth from Eastern Equatoria to the attacks, youth leader from Eastern Equatoria, Oriaja James Liberto, distanced the community youth from any involvement in the attacks.

The acting chairperson of the youth union in Eastern Equatoria state refuted the claims, terming them ‘baseless and meant to mislead the public.’

“We the youth and the people of Eastern Equatoria State strongly reject the false accusations made by the Bor community youth association regarding the recent event in Nyolo Magwi County. Their claim that our youth raided their cattle are baseless and meant to mislead the public,” he said.

The Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO) has, however, called on the Eastern, Central Equatoria and Jonglei States authorities to hold an urgent meeting to make a decision on the protection of the cattle herders from further armed deadly cattle raiding.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *